Pivot Trail 429 MTBs For Sale
Shop new & used Pivot Trail 429 MTBs for sale at TPC - The Pro's Closet. Find reviews, specs, weight info, prices, and size charts on various models and popular years (2019, 2020, etc). Read our Pivot Trail 429 Quick-Take Review of this popular MTB.
Bikes are meant
to be used.
Pivot’s Trail 429 competes in a busy space. Trail bikes that climb like a cross-country ride and descend like an enduro whip. Thanks to the minds of Chris Cocalis and Dave Weagle, it rides with the best. Cocalis has been making bikes for ages. Weagle’s DW-Link, a four-bar linkage, allows for a one-piece rear end that keeps its virtual pivot point away from pedaling and braking inputs, keeping it active and in contact with the ground.
2023 Pivot Trail 429 - Weight, Specs, Price
Pivot Trail 429 Enduro Pro (Med)
Shimano XT (1x12)
The first 429, released in 2019, replaced Pivot’s Mach 429. 120mm of rear travel and 130mm up front. In carbon only, it utilized a shock on the underside of the top tube. The bike could run 29”, 27.5”, or mullet. The 2022 Trail 429 keeps the travel but reworks the shock position for better kinematics and water bottle space. The 429 can also add a 17mm long lower headset extension to raise the bottom bracket when running 27.5” or slacken the angles with a 29”.
Pivot Trail 429 Review: Why We Fell In Love With The Pivot Trail 429
Pivot's Trail 429 may be one of the best mountain bikes in the 120/130mm trail category, and it's clear why. As a third-generation model and Pivot's best-selling bike, it brings the heat with a blend of efficient climbing, stability, and confident descending that has me reaching for it again and again.
Choosing the Pivot Trail 429
When Pivot released the updated Trail 429, they raised the bar for trail bikes. The bike is part XC climber, part backcountry descender, and all fun. Its DW suspension design offers excellent power transfer, minimal bob, and great traction that shines when punching up those rocky inclines. As the trail steepens, the bike stays high in its travel, eliminating wallow and keeping the front wheel tracking accurately. The 429's updated top tube length and reach make for a comfortable cockpit during long climbs while remaining long enough at 460mm (size medium) for fast descents.
Whether hitting technical uphill sections or challenging my fitness on descents, the Trail 429 shows up in spades. It's light, stiff, and brilliant at navigating short, rocky pitches. But the fun doesn't stop when you reach the summit. Turning downhill, the Trail 429 is precise and balanced. The 66.5 degree HA remains composed when pounding through rough terrain, with an impressive overall frame stiffness that belies its XC wheels and light frame.
Pros and Cons
- Excellent power transfer with minimal bob.
- Good traction, particularly on rocky inclines.
- Composed suspension eliminates wallow and keeps the front wheel tracking accurately.
- Comfortable cockpit for long climbs.
- Precise and balanced descending.
- Can maintain composure even on rough terrain.
- Updated geometry with flip-chip provides longer reach, top tube, and wheelbase; steeper seat tube angle; and a slacker head tube angle combined create a playful, poppy ride.
- The rear suspension is more sensitive from the top and becomes more progressive at the end.
- Can accommodate a large water bottle inside the front triangle in all sizes.
- Not as nimble navigating tight terrain at low speeds due to the longer top tube and wheelbase.
- May not be the first choice for particularly rough terrain due to its light frame, Fox 34 fork, and XC wheels.
In the world of mountain biking, the Pivot Trail 429 stands as a testament to Pivot's commitment to innovation and performance. It's a bike that does it all. The 429 climbs well, descends like a bike with more travel, and offers a balanced ride that leaves you grinning from ear to ear. It may not be perfect for everyone, but for those seeking a versatile, high-performance trail bike, the Trail 429 is a fantastic option.
Shop all Pivot bikes!
Local to Colorado? Come visit us at our Louisville, CO Bike Store!