Bibs were designed to make cycling more comfortable. Instead of a waistband, they’ve got built-in suspenders, which, for most, makes the experience much better. Things stay in place, there’s less chafing and bunching, and you can concentrate on riding.
These days there are a lot of bibs to choose from. Some are lightweight, some have a more cushioned chamois for longer days in the saddle, others have thinner padding for shorter rides. They come in longer styles and shorter styles, for cold weather or hot days. You could easily have a whole closet just dedicated to bibs, and … no judgment from us!
Bibs made specifically for women tend to have a more generous fit in the hips and thighs, straps that accommodate your chest, and chamois padding shaped right for crucial contact points. Some also have easy-off bathroom features made specifically for women. That’s not to say that anyone can’t wear any bibs they like, but some key features on women’s bibs make the ride that much more comfortable.
Here are five women's bibs to consider when shopping for cycling kit.
[button]Shop all apparel[/button]
Ideal for: Warm/hot weather road riding
- Super soft fabric
- Stays in place really well
- Stretchy mesh (aerodynamic) fabric breaths on hot days
- Seam-free legs
- Lightweight, wide, mesh straps
- Not as much cushion in chamois
Surprising feature we liked: The strap goes down the middle of the chest, which is actually quite comfortable.
Ideal for: Warm weather road or gravel riding
- Silicone grippers hold shorts place without irritating the skin
- Very lightweight, great for warm days
- Moisture wicking
- Zipper in the back for easy bathroom breaks
- Straps put some tension on the shoulders
Surprising feature we liked: They come in red! Such a nice change to the traditional look.
Ideal for: Warm weather, long rides — all day adventures
- “Fly-free” ability to pull down for bathroom breaks without taking bibs off
- Luxurious amount of padding for longer days
- Full front mesh takes strain off shoulders
- Minimal seams
- Comes in six color options
- Sizes from XXS to 3XL
Surprising feature we liked: We can’t over emphasize how awesome the “fly-free” feature is…game changer.
Ideal for: Early Spring and changing weather — cool starts — 40-60-degree range
- Fleece-lined, super comfy
- Reflective accents on both legs
- Gets too toasty above 55 degrees
Surprising feature we liked: Pairs really well with leg warmers. Perfect for cold starts where you can shed layers as the day goes.
Ideal for: Weather warriors! Going out in very cold temperatures.
- Super-duper warm for just about any (cold) weather imaginable
- Overall water resistance
- Reflective details on both legs
- Waterproof zippers on cuffs
- Very cushioned chamois
- Grips on cuffs to stay put
- Can feel a bit constricting
- A little tough to get on
Surprising feature we liked: Fleece-lined all the way up the back for additional warmth